The Young Carer's Grant is a yearly payment of £326.65.
You can apply for the it if all of the following apply to you:
- you live in Scotland,
- you're 16, 17 or 18 years old,
- you've been caring for one or more people for around 16 hours a week, for the last 3 months,
- the person or people you care for are getting certain benefits,
- you're not being paid to care for someone you will use in your application as part of your job,
- you're not helping care for the people you apply for as a volunteer, for example as part of a care group or charity,
- you're not already getting Carer's Allowance from the Department for Work and Pensions, or Northern Ireland's Carer's Allowance.
The person or people you care for must have been getting one or more of these benefits for at least the last 3 months:
- the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP),
- the middle or highest care rate of Disability Living Allowance (DLA), including Child Disability Living Allowance.
- the middle or highest care rate of Child Disability Payment,
- Attendance Allowance,
- Armed Forces Independence Payment,
- Constant Attendance Allowance.
If a person you care for gets Constant Attendance Allowance, they need to be getting either:
- Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (at or above the normal maximum rate), or
- War Disablement Pension (at the basic rate).
You can apply for the Young Carer Grant and find out more information on the Scottish Government's website.
In response to the COVID-19 crisis, the rules regarding the timing of applications have been relaxed. This means if you apply after your 19th birthday, due a delay in relation to COVID-19, your application will be treated as though it was on time (e.g. Social Security Scotland will treat your application as if they had applied prior to turning 19).
You can contact Social Security Scotland by web chat, phone or post.
They are available 8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday. Call them on 0800 182 2222.
Find more information about contacting Social Security Scotland on mygov.scot.
If you're living in Scotland, and aged 11 up to 18 and are caring for someone, you can apply for Young Scot's Young Carers Package. This is a collection of enhanced offers, from free cinema tickets and 30% off travel, to up to 50% off at high street restaurants. Apply for the Young Carers Package now!
Find more information on the Young Carers campaign page.