Let’s meet the people representing you and the rest of Renfrewshire’s young people at the Scottish Youth Parliament.
Usually, an election is run and young people across Renfrewshire vote on who they wish to represent them. This year all available seats were uncontested meaning the people who came forward will eventually go on to be your MSYP (Member of the Scottish Youth Parliament). Until then they are called MSYP Elects. They will soon be looking to speak with as many young people from across Renfrewshire as they can and see what the biggest and most important issues are to you and help raise them nationally and help make change happen.
So let’s meet them!
Hi, I’m Daniela. The three issues I want to focus on as an MSYP are:
- Have the Scottish Government recognise feminicides as a legal term
- Implement anti-racism work in PL classes in schools
- Allow young people in the constituency to share their viewpoint
Hi, I’m Zoya. The three issues I want to focus on are:
- Better mental health facilities in school as I feel pupils are scared to talk to someone as they don’t know where to go, or the facility is backlogged so they have no one to talk to
- Better bus services in quiet areas as it impacts the elderly whose only transportation is buses as well as children as it may be the only option and could be unsafe to walk
- Better facilities for young people in communities as no young person should feel like they have nowhere to go or no one to talk to when they’re struggling
Schools that come under the Paisley constituency area are Castlehead High, Gleniffer High, Mary Russell, Paisley Grammar and St Andrew’s Academy. If you attend any of these schools, look out for information on your MSYP Elects and how to get in touch with them.
Hi, I’m Ameerah. The 3 issues I want to focus on as MSYP are:
- Promoting a positive and inspiring image of Scottish youth through the community
- Expanding extracurricular opportunities to bridge the gap in available activities and clubs
- Working towards school environments that promote safety and cleanliness for the wellbeing of students and staff
Send Ameerah an email (her official SYP email address will be added here soon)
Schools that come under the Renfrewshire South constituency area are Riverbrae School, Johnstone High, Linwood High and St Benedict’s High. If you attend any of these schools, look out for information on your MSYP Elects and how to get in touch with them.
Hi, I’m Alistair. The 3 issues I want to focus on as an MSYP are:
- Drug misuse
- Racial inequality
- Lack of opportunities for young people
Hi, I’m Isla. The 3 issues I want to focus on as MSYP are:
- Health and wellbeing
Schools that come under the Renfrewshire North-West constituency area are Gryffe High, Park Mains High, Renfrew High, and Trinity High. If you attend any of these schools, look out for information on your MSYP Elects and how to get in touch with them.