You might be wondering what The Promise is. We’ll explain it in a nutshell and give you some links so you can find out more if you want to.
We grow up loved, safe, and respected so that we realise our full potential. – Scotland’s Ambition for young people. The Promise
The Promise is the concluding report from the findings of the Independent Care Review. The Independent Care Review heard the stories of over 5500+ Care Experienced children, adults, and their families, as well as consulting the workforce, many of which lived in or around Renfrewshire. It sets out a clear vision for organisational and cultural change across Scotland, to ensure that all Care-Experienced children and young people grow up to be loved, respected and able to fulfil their potential.
If you want to find out more about The Promise and how it might impact you, you can read more about it by clicking on the links below. Some of the changes The Promise wants to see covers the following:
- Ensuring that families are supported to stay together
- Where children and young people do need to be taken into care, brothers and sisters should not be separated
- What kind of support there should be for Care Experienced young people transitioning into adulthood
- What language we use when discussing Care and that language needs to change to normalise young people’s experiences of Care and to avoid the stigma
- And perhaps most importantly, how The Promise wants to ensure Children’s voices are always heard loud and clear when it comes to their Care and what they need.