How to Apply for Carer's Allowance

If you look after someone for at least 35 hours a week and they get certain benefits, you might be eligible for Carer’s Allowance. It is a weekly payment of £69.70 which you can choose to receive weekly or every four weeks. Here’s how to apply.


To be able to get the payment, all of the following must apply:

  • you’re aged 16 or over
  • you spend at least 35 hours a week caring for someone
  • you’ve been in England, Scotland or Wales for at least 2 of the last 3 years (this does not apply if you’re a refugee or have humanitarian protection status)
  • you normally live in England, Scotland or Wales, or you live abroad as a member of the armed forces (you might still be eligible if you’re moving to or already living in an EEA country or Switzerland)
  • you’re not in full-time education
  • you’re not studying for 21 hours a week or more
  • you’re not subject to immigration control
  • your earnings are £132 or less a week after tax, National Insurance and expenses.

The person you care for must already get one of these benefits:

  • Personal Independence Payment – daily living component
  • Disability Living Allowance – the middle or highest care rate
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Constant Attendance Allowance at or above the normal maximum rate with an Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
  • Constant Attendance Allowance at the basic (full day) rate with a War Disablement Pension
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • Child Disability Payment – the middle or highest care rate
  • Adult Disability Payment – daily living component.

What you’ll need before you apply

Make sure you have your:

  • National Insurance number (if you have a partner you’ll need theirs too)
  • bank or building society details (unless you get your State Pension)
  • employment details and the latest payslip if you’re working
  • P45 if you’ve recently finished work
  • course details if you’re studying
  • details of any expenses, for example, pension contributions or the cost of caring for your children or the person you care for while you’re at work.

You also need the following details of the person you care for:

  • date of birth and address,
  • National Insurance number if they’re 16 or over,
  • Disability Living Allowance reference if they’re under 16.

How to apply

You can apply online at the UK Government website or by post.

You can backdate your claim by 3 months.

Head back to the Young Carers campaign page.

Other content you might be interested in

All ages

Steps to Pride

Check out our Steps to Pride, created by young people from the Fantastic Six LGBT group.

Steps to Pride
All ages


When it comes to sex or any kind of intimate activity with a partner, whether you’re in a relationship with…


Your Rights at School

Your school has a responsibility to make sure your rights are respected and that you receive an appropriate education.

Your Rights at School
HIDE PAGELeave this site quickly
Back to top of the page