Young Persons’ (Under 22s) Free Bus Travel
Young people who are 5-21 years old living in Scotland get free bus travel. It’s part of the Scottish Government’s plan to build a fairer, greener society.
Once you have your National Entitlement Card (NEC) or Young Scot National Entitlement Card (Young Scot NEC) you can travel on most buses right across Scotland.
When you are ready to travel, make sure you have your card with you when you board the bus. Tell the bus driver where you are going then tap your card on the electronic ticket machine. The smart technology will take care of the rest.
Ts and Cs
- Parents or guardians must apply on behalf of 5-15 year olds.
- Young people who are 16-21 years old can apply themselves.
- Children under 5 years old already travel for free on buses and don’t need a card.
- Anyone using an NEC for free travel due to a disability does not need to re-apply.
- There are a few bus services that aren’t included in the scheme such as premium fare services, sightseeing buses, cross-border services and dedicated school buses. Please contact the bus company before travelling if you are unsure.
How to apply
There are several ways to apply for a new or replacement Young Scot NEC. Find out what you need in order to apply.
You can apply:
- Online at getyournec.scot. You can find out more information about the application process on the getyournec.scot website.
- Directly with your local council. You can find their details here. Scroll down and select your local council area.
- If you’re aged between 16 and 21 and already have an active NEC or Young Scot NEC, you have the option to download free bus travel onto your existing card using the Transport Scot Pass Collect app. An active Young Scot NEC will have a long number next to the ITSO logo and the date of birth will be highlighted with a pink strip.
Watch our video below for a step-by-step guide on using the Transport Scot Pass Collect app.
For more information about the Young Persons’ (Under 22s) Free Bus Travel Scheme, please visit freebus.scot.
With your Young Scot NEC you also get access to other travel discounts if you are 16,17 or 18 years old and if you are a full time volunteer aged up to 25 years old. Find out more on the Young Scot website.