The Young Carer Grant is a yearly payment of £326.65.
Eligibility for the Young Carer Grant
You can apply for it if all of the following apply to you:
- you live in Scotland,
- you’re 16, 17 or 18 years old,
- you’ve been caring for one or more people for around 16 hours a week, for the last 3 months,
- the person or people you care for are getting certain benefits,
- you’re not being paid to care for someone you will use in your application as part of your job,
- you’re not helping care for the people you apply for as a volunteer, for example as part of a care group or charity,
- you’re not already getting Carer’s Allowance from the Department for Work and Pensions, or Northern Ireland’s Carer’s Allowance.
The person or people you care for must have been getting one or more of these benefits for at least the last 3 months:
- the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP),
- the middle or highest care rate of Disability Living Allowance (DLA), including Child Disability Living Allowance.
- the middle or highest care rate of Child Disability Payment,
- Attendance Allowance,
- Armed Forces Independence Payment,
- Constant Attendance Allowance.
If a person you care for gets Constant Attendance Allowance, they need to be getting either:
- Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (at or above the normal maximum rate), or
- War Disablement Pension (at the basic rate).
How to apply for the Young Carer Grant
You can apply for the Young Carer Grant and find out more information on the Scottish Government’s website.
You can also contact Social Security Scotland by web chat, phone or post. They are available 8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday.
- Call: 0800 182 2222
Find more information about contacting Social Security Scotland.
Support from Young Scot’s free Young Carers Package
If you’re living in Scotland, aged 11 up to 18 and are caring for someone, you can apply for Young Scot’s Young Carers Package too. This is a collection of enhanced offers, from free cinema tickets and 30% off travel to up to 50% off at high street restaurants.
Apply for the Young Carers Package now.
More information and support
Find more information and support available on our Young Carers campaign page.