What is the Scottish Outdoor Access Code?
The Scottish Outdoor Access Code is all about your rights and responsibilities when you’re making the most of Scotland’s great outdoors.
It’s based on three key things:
- Respecting the interests of others
- Caring for the environment
- Taking responsibility for your own actions
It’s important to look after the spaces we’re using, whether it’s because others use them too, or because it’s important to keep them clean and safe and allow them to flourish!
So whether you just jog around your local area, go for picnics with family in your nearest park, or like to venture a bit further afield, it’s important that you #KnowTheCode.
Our #KnowTheCode Campaign
Young Scot and Nature Scot have worked in partnership to create a 12-part animated video series, that shows you everything from, how to properly cross a field with farm animals, to what to do if you need a wee and there are no toilets in sight!
The videos cover:
- Your outdoor access rights
- Places you can use
- Respecting local wildlife
- Walking your dog
- Going camping
- Sharing pathways
- Crossing fields and farmland
- Needing to go to the toilet outdoors
- Climbing gates or fencing
- Farming and forestry work
- Crossing golf courses
For more information check out The Scottish Outdoor Access Code website.