It can be nice to meet people who may have similar interests or stories to you, so going to an LGBT meet up can be a great way to meet people like you - even if you are still figuring out who you are! Find out more about meeting new people through LGBT meet-ups and online.
Having a good mix of friends is amazing, but sometimes it can feel really good to be able to talk to somebody who just "gets" you - whether you are questioning your sexuality or are completely sure of it.
So why not look for LGBT meet ups in your area and go along?
There are lots of different groups across Scotland that you can go along to. If you’re feeling a little nervous you can bring a friend along for some support. Check out some of these organisations that run group meet-ups:
- LGBT Youth Scotland’s site has a list of LGBT Youth Groups which are a great way to meet people like you. They offer lots of different things to do including gaining qualifications, learning to become more politically active or getting creative with arts and crafts - each group offers something a little different.
- LGBT Health regularly have events listed on their website including social groups, health groups and arts groups. They also have information on starting up your own community group.
- Stonewall Scotland have a ‘What’s in My Area’ section on their website where you can search by category and location to find LGBT services and groups near you.
- The Equality Network have a directory of LGBT organisations where you can find lots of different groups and events. You can search by category and area.
- Attend a Pride event! Pride is a celebration of the LGBT community that takes place through lots of different events across the country. They also usually have activities and areas for young people. Why not look for one near you?
Feel more comfortable online?
If you don’t feel quite ready to attend a group and meet people in person, you can also find lots of communities online where you can chat to people and make friends. Apps, websites and social networks are a great way to connect with other people but it’s important to stay safe online. Check out our tips for staying safe when chatting online.
You can also join in with LGBT Youth Scotland’s online chat, where you can speak privately to trained youth workers in real time to chat about whatever is on your mind. This is a great service if you need some support and aren’t sure where to turn. These usually take place on Monday and Thursday evenings from 6pm to 8pm.
Find out more about finding a community online and these guides to coming out as lesbian, gay, bisexual or coming out as transgender.
Head back to the LGBT campaign page.