What is VentureJam 2018?
VentureJam is a unique opportunity for 40 young people in Scotland. Young Scot and Glasgow City of Science and Innovation are running a weekend ‘Jam’ from 19-21 October 2018 at Glasgow Science Centre that will see teams of young people developing fresh ideas that embrace the digital world to solve real world challenges.
Throughout the Jam you'll have access to a team of inspirational mentors from the world of television, gaming, product design and 3D animation as well as environmental gurus - and Young Scot will be there to guide you through the creative process!
At this Year’s VentureJam weekend we're going to give you the tools to develop and design a new idea and you never know - it could change the future of the planet, and change peoples' lives!
The theme for VentureJam 2018 is:
'The Plastics Innovation Challenge'
With the BBC’s landmark Blue Planet series highlighting the scale of the problem, there has been a global conversation about our broken plastics system and its environmental impact. Plastic production is set to double in the next 20 years and quadruple by 2050. Most plastic items are used only once before being discarded, often ending up polluting the environment. If nothing changes, there could be more plastic than fish in the ocean by 2050. Trying to reduce our use of plastic products is good for the environment, but how do we ensure our oceans can become plastic free if the future?
With access to a team of inspirational mentors, your team will:
- Learn about one of the biggest challenges facing humanity – plastic pollution.
- Immerse yourself about the latest innovations to help create alternative solutions to our problem with plastic.
- Look beyond the current "take, make and dispose” model of product creation and aim to redefine products and services to eliminate waste.
- Explore radical new business models which are changing the way we make and dispose of products through the ‘circular economy’.
- As well as pitching your idea to a packed audience at the Curiosity Live event in Glasgow in November, the overall winning team will enjoy a unique prize.
- Prizes for the winning teams include pitching your idea to a packed audience at the Curiosity Live event in Glasgow in November, and, for the overall winning team, the opportunity to display your ideas at the FKP Scorpio and BBC Studios Blue Planet II Live In Concert at the SSE Hydro in Glasgow on March 21st 2019 and to attend the show as special VIP guests!
VentureJam is Scotland’s youth innovation programme. All young people taking part in the weekend will get the chance to pitch their best ideas from the Jam weekend to top innovators at Curiosity Live, 'Dragon’s Den' style. Will your team create the next big thing?
How to Apply
- Fill in the form online
- Download the application form here or from the attachments section at the bottom of this page, or
- Sign up with the application form embedded below!
Applications close on 28th September 2018.
Places are limited! After the closing date, Young Scot will be in touch to let you know if your application has been successful.
If you would like more information about VentureJam, please email email@example.com
50 Pacific Quay