Where to Go When You Feel Ill

Being unwell or injured is no fun at all. The best way to feel better quickly is to go to the right place to get looked after.

Remember: Accident & Emergency (A&E) departments are for serious injuries or illnesses only.


A picture of a woman blowing her nose

You can usually treat minor illnesses yourself at home. This could include a cough & cold, sore throat or headache. 


A picture of a woman talking to a pharmacist in a pharmacy

Visit your local pharmacy to buy over-the-counter medicines to help treat your minor illnesses, or to get expert healthcare advice from a pharmacist. 

You can find treatments for coughs and colds, indigestion, constipation and hayfever at a pharmacy. 


A picture of a woman sitting in a dentists  chair

Turn to your dentist for regular check ups, planned routine treatment and emergency care. Find out how to register with a dentist


A picture of a woman getting her eyes tested by an optician

For eye problems including blurred vision, difficulty seeing well or discomfort in your eyes, see your optician for advice. Find out how to book an eye appointment


A picture of man speaking to a doctor

If your illness or injury is more serious, or your symptoms are persistent, it is a good idea to make an appointment to see your GP. They can carry out examinations, provide advice or issue a prescription for medication if needed. 

It is important to keep your appointment, or to cancel it if you no longer need to attend. If you don’t already have a GP, find out how to register

NHS out-of-hours service

A picture of the arm of someone who is having their blood pressure tested

For advice when your GP or dental surgery is not open, call NHS24 on 111. This is how you get advice or an appointment with a doctor when your surgery is closed.

Minor Injuries Service 

A picture of an arm with a painful looking burn on it

Turn to a minor injuries service if you require urgent care for a minor injury such as: cuts, minor burns, sprains. Find out where your nearest minor injury service is on the NHS Inform website


A picture of a hospital's A&E sign

Only call 999 or head to your local A&E department for serious illness or accidents, such as suspected stroke, heart attack, head injury or broken bones.

Other content you might be interested in

All ages

Stepping Stones

Stepping Stones is designed to make a step change in the way opportunities and support are given to improve the lives…

Stepping Stones
All ages

Suicide? Help!

A suicide prevention app with information on services in Tayside and the ability to help users create their own safety…

Suicide? Help!
All ages

AyeFeel Like Talking Video Series

A series of conversations with young people and experts sharing tips, information and ideas to support and promote a positive…

AyeFeel Like Talking Video Series
HIDE PAGELeave this site quickly
Back to top of the page