A quick and easy 'how to' for yummy pancakes - whether you love lemon and a sprinkle sugar or you're more of a chocolate spread kinda person.
- 125g self-raising flour
- 1 egg
- 2tbsp caster sugar
- 150ml butter milk
- 15g melted butter
- A pinch of salt
- A drop of oil for pan
- Put the flour in a bowl and stir in the sugar. Make a well in the centre, and add the egg, melted butter and about half of the milk. Gradually stir the flour into the liquid and add the remaining milk a little at a time, to make a fairly thick and smooth batter.
- Heat a large shallow dish in a low oven, then turn off the heat and line the dish with a tea towel (this is for keeping the cooked pancakes warm). Heat a griddle or large, heavy-based frying pan over a moderate heat and grease it with 1 teaspoon of oil.
- Using a dessertspoon, pour the batter from the pointed end (rather than the side of the spoon) to make neat, round drop scones
- Cook for approximately 1 minute, flip over and cook other side for approximately 1 minute.
- Voilà - serve them up with your choice of topping. For a healthier option, why not try them out with some fruit or even just a bit of lemon juice?
Don't forget, you can get a discount on all of your ingredients at Scotmid and Co-Op Food stores.