Did you know that you can get 20% off fares on Scottish Citylink with your Young Scot Card?
Citylink run an extensive network of long distance and express services within Scotland. With over 200 destinations from the central belt to rural Scotland, you're sure to find a perfect destination for you. We've put together some of the top destinations in the Highlands that you can travel to on a Citylink coach!
The capital of the Highlands, Inverness, is nestled into the banks of the River Ness and is one of Scotland’s smallest cities. The city is probably most famed for its close proximity to Loch Ness, where you can go searching for Nessie.
Things to do in Inverness:
- Take in the views from the top by visiting the Castle Viewpoint where you can spot famous landmarks within the city and surrounding areas.
- Catch a production at Eden Court, from the latest movies to musicals and comedy shows.
- Visit the impressive glasshouses and experience an oasis of calm at Inverness Botanic Gardens.
Citylink provide services to Inverness from Glasgow and Edinburgh.
Thurso is the most northernly town on the British mainland and is situated on the popular North Coast 500 route. The town offers visitors a friendly welcome, a relaxed atmosphere and lots of local history to delve into.
Things to do in Thurso:
- Visit the Caithness Horizons museum to discover the history of the area, from Picts to Vikings and the Dounreay Nuclear Research Establishment.
- Get your surf on as Thurso is a major surfing area with its plentiful reefs and beaches in the town and nearby.
- Venture out to the surrounding countryside to experience the unique scenery of the area.
Citylink provide services to Thurso from Inverness, which is accessible from other areas around Scotland.
Ullapool may be known as a gateway to the Western Isles but its also a destination in its own right. Set in the beautiful Scottish Highlands, it boasts stunning scenery, wildlife, culture and an abundance of outdoor activities.
Things to do in Ullapool:
- Take your pick from one of the many wonderful walks in the area, try out sea kayaking or tee off at the local golf course.
- Visit the Ulapool Museum to hear the stories of Lochbroom, its history, heritage and people.
- Take a stroll along the harbour and tuck into some fresh seafood.
Citylink provide services to Ullapool from Inverness, which is accessible from other areas around Scotland.
Fort William is known as the 'Outdoor Capital of the UK'. There are lots of activities to take part in from fishing and hillwalking in the summer months to skiing in the winter.
Things to do in Fort William:
- Bag the tallest mountain in the UK, Ben Nevis. If you’re going to tackle this Munro, remember to be prepared and follow safety advice.
- Learn about the regional life and history of the area by visiting the West Highland museum.
- Head over to nearby Glenfinnan and visit the Glenfinnan Viaduct for ultimate Harry Potter vibes.
Citylink provide services to Fort William from Glasgow and Inverness, which are both accessible from other areas in Scotland.
There are lots more destinations that you can explore with Citylink! Use the Citylink Journey Planner to find what areas you can explore from your local bus station!
Young Scot Discounts
Find out how you can get 20% off Scottish Citylink fares with your Young Scot card.
If you're planning on visiting some of these locations for longer than a day out, remember you can get 15% off accommodation at Hostelling Scotland with your Young Scot card.
Planning on some outdoor activity? Get your kit from GO Outdoors and get 10% off online with your Young Scot card.
There are also a tonne of local discounts that are available to you using your Young Scot card. Have a look at the discount section to see what savings you could make!