What is upcycling and how can I recycle my old clothes? Find out with these top tips from Young Scot.
What is 'upcycling'?
Upcycling is about re-using old clothes and household items by turning them into something new. It means that stuff that you previously might have thrown away can have a fresh lease of life! The only limit is your creativity and imagination.
It could be:
- Turning a jumper that’s shrunk in the washing machine into a new handbag.
- Cutting and sewing T-shirts into new hats, scarves, ties or bags.
- Using old fabric and leather into mobile phone or tablet covers.
- Sewing lots of old ties together to make a mini-skirt.
- Refreshing old dresses into something newer and hipper.
Why do it?
There are lots of advantages to Upcycling. It’s a cheap, or free, way to make yourself something truly unique and it’s really environmentally friendly too!
Where’s it happening?
There are organisations across Scotland that can give you ideas, or help you with sewing/repairing skills. For more information about what’s happening near you click on the links to their websites:
Can't get to a workshop? No worries! Check out some other examples of Upcycling on Pinterest and lots of how-to guides on YouTube: