Chef, Loz Atkinson, has shared this recipe for the perfect winter warmer! It takes around one hour to prepare and serves four people. Plus, you can get 10% off all the ingredients at your local Scotmid.
You will need
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 medium white onion
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 TBSP medium curry powder
- ½ TBSP chilli powder
- 2 TBSP cooking oil
- Salt and pepper to season
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and roughly cut into 5cm cubes.
- Peel and cut the carrots into 2cm chunks.
- Peel and finely dice the onion into 1cm chunks.
- Place the cubed sweet potato on a baking tray, drizzle with 1TBSP of cooking oil and sprinkle with 1 TBSP curry powder and a pinch of salt and pepper. Bake for 20 minutes, or until sweet potato is slightly soft.
- Meanwhile, heat the rest of the oil in a large saucepan or medium soup pot. Sauté the onions on a low to medium heat for a few minutes, until translucent. Add ½ TBSP of chilli powder to the pot and cook for 1 minute. Add the carrots and cook for a further two minutes stirring regularly.
- Dissolve the stock cube in 1ltr of boiling water. When fully dissolved add to the pot. Cover with a lid and let simmer on a medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Next add your baked sweet potato to the pot. Pour in the can of coconut milk. Return the lid and simmer for a further 20 minutes on a medium heat.
- Finally use a blender or a hand blender to make your soup nice and smooth. If you don’t own a blender you can use a potato masher to mash the larger chunks. If the soup is too thick you can always add more hot water to achieve the desired consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.