Ugh, periods are annoying enough but it can be so confusing deciding between all of the period products available. Read our info on how the different products work to decide which is best for you.
Worried about using tampons?
Some people worry about using tampons in case the tampon gets lost inside of them or causes toxic shock syndrome.
You can't lose a tampon inside of you. If you accidentally leave a tampon in and push it further up towards your cervix, you may be able to feel it and get it back out yourself. If not, get along to see your GP asap and they'll be able to get it out easily. Don't be embarrassed, they see things like this every day!
Toxic shock syndrome is very rare. You can stay safe when using tampons by:
- Always using tampons with the lowest absorbency which works for you
- Washing your hands before and after inserting a tampon
- Changing tampons regularly, as often as directed on the pack
- Only inserting one tampon at a time
- Using a fresh tampon when going to bed, and changing it as soon as you get up
Remember, whichever product you choose to use the important thing is that it is what you find most comfortable and effective. Don't be embarrassed to ask any friends or family for advice, or to spend an extra 5 minutes in the supermarket deciding which product would be best for you. Happy period-ing!
Head back to the Periods landing page for more info.