Bored of the same old dinners?
We’ve teamed up with Co-op to bring you some year-round inspiration and freshen up your meal choices.
Find a recipe for each season below that uses some in-season ingredients sourced in Scotland.
Remember you can get 10% off at the Co-op with your Young Scot National Entitlement Card!
Salmon and leek filo rolls
Spring time is generally the most difficult time for finding food in season, however plenty of ingredients are in season year round to rely on such as farmed Scottish salmon and for this recipe our other main ingredient, leeks, are in season from September through into April.
Full ingredients list (14 servings):
- 3 tbsp Co-op extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 1 Co-op British leek, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp reduced fat crème fraîche
- ½ tbsp Co-op Dijon mustard
- ½ x 25g pack flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- ½ x 25g pack dill, finely chopped
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon, plus wedges to serve
- 2 x 165g packs Co-op steamed Scottish salmon fillets, skin removed, flaked into chunks
- 270g pack filo pastry
- 120g pack Co-op watercress, spinach and rocket salad
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a non-stick pan. Add the leek, cover, then cook on a medium-low heat for 15-20 mins, stirring occasionally. Leave to cool.
- Whisk together the crème fraîche, mustard, parsley, dill, lemon zest and half the juice until smooth. Season, then fold through the salmon and leek.
- Cut each filo sheet in half lengthways so you have 14 strips in total, then cover with a clean, damp tea towel.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/Gas 6. Spread 1 heaped tbsp of the fish mixture across the short end of a pastry strip, tuck in the edges and roll up. Place seam-side down on a lined baking tray, brush with oil and season. Repeat to make 14 in total.
- Bake for 30-35 mins, until golden. Combine the remaining lemon juice and olive oil to make a dressing, toss with the salad and serve with the rolls.
Garlic and mushroom pancakes
Garlic comes into season in Scotland through June, July and August, while mushrooms are in-season year-round, as is the other main ingredient spinach making this a perfect savoury summer treat!
Full ingredients list (2 servings):
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 200g Co-op chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 75g Co-op baby spinach
- 75g Co-op light soft cheese with garlic and herbs
- Preheat the oven to 190℃/fan 170℃/Gas 5
- Heat a splash of olive oil and knob of butter in a pan, and fry the garlic and mushrooms, stirring occasionally, for 4 mins
- Add the spinach and wilt, then add the cheese and stir until melted
- Make 2 pancakes, divide the mixture between them, then roll up and bake for 5 mins
The perfect warming meal for an Autumn afternoon, this pumpkin soup uses in-season pumpkins and onions.
Full ingredients (2 servings):
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 Co-op British pumpkin, flesh chopped, seeds reserved
- 1 1/2 tbsp Co-op olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds, crushed
- 450ml Co-op skimmed milk
- 2 tbsp reduced fat crème fraîche
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/Gas 4
- Fry the onion and pumpkin in 1 tbsp of the oil over a low heat for 10 mins
- Add the garlic, thyme and fennel seeds, then cook on a medium heat for 5 more mins
- Pour in the milk, bring to a simmer and cook for 10-15 mins, 1/2-covered, until the pumpkin is tender
- Meanwhile, remove any flesh from the pumpkin seeds, rinse and toss with the remaining oil
- Roast on a baking tray for 10 mins, until golden
- Blend the soup until smooth, then serve with a dollop of crème fraîche and a scattering of the seeds
Using in-season ingredients lamb and parsnips as well as carrots which are in all year, this simple roast recipe will heat you up on those cold winter evenings.
Full ingredients (2 servings):
- 1/2 x 500g pack Co-op parsnips, peeled
- 1/2 x 500g pack Co-op carrots, peeled
- 1 x 300g pack Co-op lamb chops
- 2 tbsp Co-op mint sauce
- Preheat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/Gas 4
- Cut the thick end of 1 parsnip into thin slices
- Cut the rest of the parsnips and carrots into quarters lengthways, and toss in olive oil
- Place with the lamb chops in a roasting dish, adding the parsnip slices on top
- Bake for 20 mins, spooning the mint sauce onto the chops 5 mins before the end of the cooking time
Discover more delicious recipes on the Co-op website!
Find out more about eating in season on our Seasonal Scran page.