How to Get In Touch With Your Local Embassy Abroad

What do Embassies Do?

A embassy or consul will help people who have passports from their country. Things that they can do include:

  • Register births and deaths
  • Issue passports, including in an emergency
  • Help people who are detained or imprisoned
  • Help people who have fallen ill
  • Help people who are the victims of crime
  • Inform people of any risks posed by visiting a country

If you have dual citizenship (i.e; you can have more than one passport) you should go to the embassy of the country of the passport you used to travel.

Where Do I Find My Embassy or Nearest Consulate?

You can find a list of British embassies across the globe on the Gov.UK website. 

A quick google search should help. You can also:

  • Ask the reception desk of the place you’re staying in
  • A Travel Rep
  • Head to a tourist information centre
  • Go to an internet café if there is one nearby
  • Or ask a friendly local who might be able to point you in the right direction

If Something Has Happened, Should I Go to the Police Station or the Embassy?

If you’re been the victim of a serious crime abroad, you will need to contact the local police in the area, your embassy and your insurer. To make an insurance claim that is the result of a crime (for instance a theft), you will need a police report. Find out more about travel insurance.**