We have some tips to help you enjoy your Prom or Leavers Ball, without any unnecessary stress or worry.
What is prom?
The American tradition of prom has now taken over schools across Scotland and the United Kingdom. It's usually a formal dance or ceilidh, acting as a send off to students leaving high school.
It's become more popular thanks to American TV programmes like Riverdale and Pretty Little Liars.
Prom is a great chance to get your best clothes on and dance the night away with your friends before you leave high school and move on to work, further education, modern apprenticeships or something else.
Prom season has become big business with prom goers often spending hundreds of pounds on outfits, beauty treatments, limos, hotel suites and after parties.
Worrying about money?
It can be quite worrying thinking about all the money you might need to spend on the night. But there are a few things you can do to ease some financial stress:
- Prom is all about having fun with your friends, not trying to have the best Instagram pics/stories
- Instead of spending hundreds of pounds on a dress or a suit, why not rent? Don't write off vintage shops or charity shops - you could find a beautiful outfit for a fraction of the price.
- Borrow clothes from older siblings or friends. Your big brother or sister might have a great outfit you could borrow or they may even have a pair of shoes or a bow-tie for no extra cost.
- Instead of spending money in a beauty salon, why not have a pamper night with your friends and try out make-up and hair-styles for the day?
- Instead of going to an expensive restaurant before your dance, you could gather with your friends at your house and cook a big meal for them, with everyone chipping in for the ingredients.
Preparing is key, you don't have to spend a load of money to have fun!
Having a Date
Don't worry about not having a date to prom. Prom is a great night for your whole year to get together and celebrate the fact you all made it through high school. Just enjoy dancing around with your friends and posing for silly pictures.
If you do have a date or want to ask someone to go with you then that's great too - go and have a great night!
Loads of popular films that feature high school proms will discuss sex and alcohol. However, it is important not to feel as though you're being pressured into this. Find out more about being pressured to have sex and what consent means.
Some of your friends might be planning on drink alcohol, or organising an after party, but it is important to be aware of the effects of drinking alcohol and not giving into peer pressure if you're not comfortable with joining in.
Remember if you're under 18 it's illegal to buy alcohol.
Just Enjoy Yourself
You might love every minute of your prom, or you might go home that night wondering what was all the fuss about. Either way, go with the intention of having fun with your friends and don't put any pressure on yourself.