Your Right to Financial Support

Articles 18 and 26 of the United Nations Convention on the Rights on the Child (UNCRC) state that you or your parents have the right to support from the government to live, develop and make the most of your opportunities. In Scotland, this can include access to services that help you, as well as financial support for your family. You can view the financial support options or benefits available in Scotland on our benefits information page, on the Scottish Government website and Citizen’s Advice Scotland also have an excellent guidance.

Even though these systems are in place, some people still live in poverty in Scotland. Poverty and how it affects people can be complex. Our myth buster tackles some common beliefs about poverty.  

Remember that your Young Scot National Entitlement Card also gives you access to loads of discounts across the country, including free bus travel if you're under 22. 

If you are a young carer, you can find information on the financial support available to you on our young carers page. For further advice and information contact your local carers centre, you can find your one by going the Care Information Scotland website.

Our Money & Me page provides loads more information and tips on debt, managing money and planning your finances, as does the Money and Pensions Service.

Where can I find support? 

There are lots of organisations that can help support people living in poverty. If you need support you can contact:  

If you need someone to talk to confidentially, look at our webpage with a list of organisations that are available 24/7 to speak to over the phone, on live chat or by text.

Visit the Activate Your Rights homepage to find out more about your rights.