This weeks CLD challenge is to make a chocolate cake.
What you need:
For the Cake:
- Plain Flour (225g/8oz)
- Cocoa Powder (85g/3oz)
- Bicarbonate of Soda (1.5tsp)
- Eggs (2)
- Milk (250ml/9floz)
- Vegetable Oil (125g/4.5oz)
- Vanilla Extract (2tsp)
- Boiling Water (250g/9oz)
For the Icing:
- Plain Chocolate (200g/7oz)
- Double Cream (200ml/7floz)
How to make it:
- Preheat the Oven/Fan/Gas to 180c/160c/Gas Mark 4. and grease and line two 20cm/8in sandwich tins.
- For the Cake, place all of the cake ingredients, except the boiling water, into a large mixing bowl. Using a wooded spoon, or electric whisk, beat the mixture until smooth and well combined.
- Add the boiling water to the mixture, a little bit at a time until smooth. Divide the cake batter between the sandwich tins and bake in the over for 25 - 35 minutes, or until you can touch the centre of the cake with a knife and it come out clean.
- Remove the cakes and let cool completely before icing.
- For the icing, heat the chocolate and cream in a saucepan over a low heat until the chocolate melts. Remover pan from head and whisk the mixture until smooth, glossy and thickened. Set aside to cool for 1-2 hours, or until thick enough to spread over the cake.
- Remove the cakes from the tins with a round blade knife. Spread a little icing on top of one of the cakes then carefully place the other cake on top. Spread the rest of the icing all over the cake.
Why not add some fondant icing or cake decorations afterwards to create a design.
You can email your video or photograph submissions to the below address:
Your submissions may be used in future publications/digital displays of activities by the CLD team please let us know if you do not want to be featured or included in these when sending in submissions.
All our challenges are for fun and anyone can take part, but if you have a Young Scot card you can claim points for each activity you take part in.
FOR THIS WEEKS CODE EMAIL US YOUR SUBMISSIONS AND WE WILL SEND YOU THE NEW CODE IT'S WORTH 100 POINTS.
Are you a Young Scot Member? Log in to redeem 100 rewards points or use the code to redeem your points. Not yet a member? Sign up now to start earning Young Scot Rewards points.